I’m being evicted, what are my rights?

In this section you will find


If you receive any letters that mention EVICTION do not ignore them. (Sometimes this may say that it’s a NOTICE OF SEEKING POSSESSION or NOTICE TO QUIT.  There may be words like POSSESSION PROCEEDINGS/ORDER and action in the COUNTY COURT). If in doubt do not delay, get free advice from CAB or SHELTER, by calling 0808 800 4444  

Alternatively you can speak to your LANDLORD directly or through their AGENT. If you have a tenancy with Dudley Council or a Housing Association then you need to talk to your INCOME MANAGER (Dudley MBC tenants) 0300 555 2345
The main thing is not to ignore it!

The main reasons for eviction are:

In most cases the eviction can be prevented so follow the advice below so that you don't end up homeless.


Rent Arrears

You can pay off your arrears slowly which stops you being classed as a non-paying tenant.

Speak to your landlord, he or she may be not be happy about the arrears but they will appreciate that you are trying to do something about it. Let them know that you are getting advice.

Continue paying whatever you can afford regularly whenever you get your wages or benefits or other income.

Then without delay do one of the following;




CAB and Debtline will make sure that you are getting any benefits that you are entitled to, even if you are working. There are more links at the foot of the page that may help.


Anti-social behaviour

If you are behaving in an anti-social way but really don't want to lose your place you need to tackle the problem by talking to a support worker or a housing officer. If you feel it's beyond your control then try and speak to someone in the coucnil's Housing Department about what support they can offer.

If it is your friends or visitors who are causing problems then you need to be clear with them that you are not willing to lose your home because of their behaviour.

If you are threatened with eviction contact:


Things to take to meetings

Harassment by your landlord

If your landlord is trying to evict you they may try to make you leave by harassing you. This is illegal. The only way you can be evicted is if your landlord has got a court order against you.  If a landlord changes your locks without any warning this is illegal. (See what to do in an emergency)

If a landlord has made you leave your place without a court order, they have committed a criminal offence and you can take leagal action.

If you think you may be being harassed then you need to contact Private Sector Housing at Dudley Coucnil on 01384 815118