I’m from an ethnic minority

Deciding to leave home

It can be really hard to leave home and if your friends or family don’t agree with what you are doing then that can make it even harder. All young people can feel pressure from family and the community, about where they live, what job they do, who they marry, but the people around you can offer valuable support as well. Only you can decide the right balance between different aspects of your culture.

Try talking to your family – they may be more supportive than you expect – start with someone in the family who you trust and who has given you good advice before.

Time 2 Talk is a free mediation service for young people who are thinking of leaving home. They can help you talk to family members. Call them on 01384 812422.

If you really want to leave then try and make as much preparation as you can before you move out. Making a leaving home plan with the help of this guide is a good place to start.

If you need to leave home urgently here is our advice LINK

If someone is trying to force you to get married this is illegal and you can get help.

You can call the forced marriage  unit on 020 7008 0151 during normal office hours or call the police at any time on 999 if you are in danger right now or 101 if there is no immediate danger


If you are suffering racial harassment this is not something you or your family should have to put up with.
You can report racial harassment to us at any time of the day any day of the year. It doesn’t have to be in writing. You can tell us in person or someone else can tell us on your behalf.

Anyone can call 0300 555 2345 and an advisor will respond. Out of hours this will divert to another call centre but stay on the line and someone will answer.
Talk to any member of Dudley Council staff.

Useful Contacts:

To report hate crime to Dudley’s Community Safety Team call a specialist officer on 01384 812537 or e-mail community.safety@dudley.gov.uk