I'm not getting on with my family, I need to leave!

Sometimes people need to leave - but do you?Arguments at home can make you feel like you just have to get away. If things are very bad or you are experiencing abuse then we would advise you to take action. If you are unsure about whether to leave in a hurry or to stay and try to work things out then there are people you can speak to who will help you to make an informed choice.

  • You can book an appointment with a Housing Advice Case Manager by calling 01384 815035
  • (If you have a Social Worker or other support you can ask them to go with you to speak to a Housing Advice Case Manager)

  • If you have a Youth Offending Worker you can ask to speak to the YOT Accommodation Officer 01384 813060

But a lot of young people who have left home in a hurry wish they had stayed just a little longer and left when they were more ready.

If you can stay at home a bit longer I would say give it a try.
I was fed up at home but I really miss the things my mum
did to help me.

Surviving at home

Here are some things that you can do to survive the aggro while you make some realistic plans to leave home:

  • Get out more with friends or at work or doing sport or study to keep away from the arguments.
  • Spend time doing something that will help you later like earning money, volunteering or study.
  • Talk to a trusted friend, relative or teacher, counsellor or doctor.
  • If you are under 18 you can call Childline on 0800 1111
  • Call Samaritans on 08457 909090

Follow these links



Dudley Colleges


Volunteering opportunities

Getting on better at home

Dudley have a free service called Dudley Mediation Services (DMS).

DMS has expert mediators who can help you talk to the people you live with about things that are distressing you. They wont speak to your family without your permission but they can help to repair relationships when things have gone wrong.

In the past they have helped a lot of people including those with very small problems, but also some who thought that they would never be able to speak to their family again. You can call them on 01384 812422.

Whatever you do don't suffer in silence - contact one of these services and see if you can't change your life for the better.

Also see the following for more information: