What to do in an emergency

Usually, if you have somewhere to live then it is advisable to stay where you are until you can plan your move more confidently.

However, ifyou are in danger or if youmight be harmed where youusually live, oryou have nowhere tostay, then you need to try some of the following:

  • If you are in immediate danger and at risk you can call the Police on 999
  • Ask a friend or family member that you can trust. They may be able to help you for a few nights, giving you time to get things sorted.
  • Call Dudley Council on 0300 555 2345 (24 hours service), depending on whats happened they should be able to direct you to the right service, this may be the Homelessness Team, Social Services or the Private Sector Team, who may be able to get you back into your home, if its safe and legal for you to return.
  • Call Shelter for advice, its free on 0808 800 4444 or go to their website.They should be able to give you advice and tell you of locally available places to stay. The Police may also be able to give you this information.
  • Call National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247 if you are suffering domestic violence (remember men can be victims as easily as women) or look at this web pageWomens Aid
  • If you are under 16 or if have been in care you can contact the Childrens Services Team at Dudley MBC via 0300 555 2345 or outside of working hours the Emergency Duty Team on 0300 555 8574
  • If you are 16 or 17 then you will need to contact either Childrens Services on the numbers immediately above or theHomelessness Team on 01384 815035 or if out of hours on 0300 555 2345. The two services will work together to try to help you.
  • You may also want to call the Runaways HelplineCall 0808 800 7070, Text 80234, Email runaway@missingpeople.org.uk


Also see the following for more information: